Manchester Arena bomber apologised to landlady for mess before suicide attack

Salman Abedi left a note apologising to his landlady for the mess at home before going to Manchester Arena and carrying out his suicide attack, a court heard.

The bomber also left £150, explaining in his note scrawled on a piece of kitchen roll: ‘Sorry if there is anything missing in the apartment or any mess made the extra 150 and the rest of the week’s rent can hopefully cover it. “Sam”.’

Abedi, 22, used the false name ‘Sam Abdi’ to rent the one-bedroom property from Ruth Bain, agreeing to pay £750 for a two-week short-term stay, jurors previously heard.

Jurors were told details during his brother’s trial for allegedly conspiring with Salman over the plot, which killed 22 people and injured hundreds of others.

Hashem Abedi, 22, denies murder, attempted murder, and conspiring to cause explosions while appearing at the Old Bailey.

Both brothers are said to have flown to Libya with other members of their family a month before the bombing.

Prosecutors said Abedi and his younger brother Hashem used various addresses, vehicles and mobile phones to organise, stockpile and store components for the bomb.

The prosecution say they used an old Nissan Micra to store bomb-related items they hastily removed from a flat in Blackley, where they allegedly manufactured the explosive TATP (triacetone triperoxide).

In the bins outside the home, officers found ID cards for both brothers for pilgrimages to Mecca, as well as a scrap of paper with a hand-written email address ‘’.

The jurors have previously heard that the address translates to ‘to slaughter we come’ in Arabic and was used to purchase one of the ‘precursor chemicals’ for the manufacture of TATP from Amazon.

Salman Abedi had been in his Granby House apartment for just four days by the time he carried out the attack.

He was seen on CCTV leaving the one-bedroom flat and heading to Manchester Arena, where he detonated his suicide bomb as thousands of men, women and children left an Ariana Grande concert.

Landlady Ruth Bain told police her subsequent attempts to contact the new, short-term tenant were unsuccessful.

She later recognised his face from media coverage of the bombing suspect.